Sunday 24 February 2013

"Hott Hedz" - Part 7


"My plan of attack was a bit spur-of-the-moment, but I was improvising. I thought I’d start by making an incision around the top of neck above the Adam’s Apple. I suspected that this old fellow had died from something cancerous, for which he was taking no serious treatment: there were plenty of syringe marks on his arms indicating regular doses of something, most likely painkillers, but there was no sign that he’d been on a drip. No chemotherapy then; the full head of hair was also a giveaway. With the lack of personal hygiene and the bedsores, I figured that he’d probably come to us from a hospice, where he’d been a cranky patient, left ‘til last on some nurse’s “To-Do” list. I was unsure about how well plumbed-in this operating table was, so I thought I’d take this first cut nice and easy, avoid slicing open as many of the larger neck vessels as I could so as to not make a mess.

The bright edge of the scalpel sank into the skin, just below the left point of his jaw. A vivid red trickle ran out and curved away to the back of his neck..."

No comments:

Post a Comment