Friday 25 September 2015

In Deep - 13: The Cavern of Flame


As the trolley squeaked its way into the distance, I stepped into the room and closed the door. The Gilman House, despite its size, has never really been the sort of place that gets packed to the gills, but even so, there was a chance that someone might have heard the shots and not mistaken them for thunder.

I didn’t know how much time I would have to myself and I desperately needed a moment to think and to work out my next move. Madame Klopp might fail to mention me to the Management - she might even have forgotten about my existence entirely - but I wouldn’t put it past her to sell me out if the opportunity arose... I stopped suddenly and patted my coat. Damn! My gun wasn’t the only thing she’d lifted from me in the stairwell. My 25K was currently riding down to the fourth floor on her trolley. Growling, I decided to toss the room and try to get a handle on what the Bug had been up to.

Room 664 was light on luxuries and strong on Spartan reserve. Its recent occupant, who I prodded carefully into the centre of the space with a cautious toe, had spread some kind of fungal bloom over every surface and spores erupted into the atmosphere with each move I made. I dragged out my handkerchief and made myself a bandana to try and avoid breathing them in. The bed was unused: I guess “John Smith” either didn’t sleep or else he hung from the ceiling after hours. The only pieces of luggage were a suitcase, the leather a dusty riot of fungal rot, and one of those calfskin cylinders that architects carry blueprints around in. I moved both of these onto the bed and was instantly struck by the immense weight of the tube. I popped open the cap on one end and saw, neatly arranged inside, 19 long metal rods, hexagonal in cross-section, about an inch in diameter and three feet in length. A youth spent stripping the metal deposits out of decrepit buildings to sell for scrap, told me that these were not steel or lead, and that they were too heavy to be aluminium. Sliding one out, I bit gently on one end: the impression left by my teeth told me that they were not of any use in construction. I filed them away in the ‘Mysteries’ folder in my brain and turned to the suitcase.

Within were the clothes that the creature had been wearing around in public, along with the Lionel Ritchie headgear. Along with these were a set of five incredibly thin hexagonal metal plates about five inches across - engraved all over with some type of writing that I didn’t recognise - and two oddly-shaped lumps of metal. One of these fitted pleasingly into my hand and the slight gaps between its fitted plates glowed faintly blue as I moved it around. There was a round protuberance on one side that looked kind of like an eye. The other object was a slightly curved short rod, pointed at one end and flat on the other. It too seemed to be made of many interlocking pieces, but it did nothing when I fiddled with it. I dropped all of these into my pockets with a grunt: now was not the time to investigate them further.

The mouldy stench in the room was getting overpowering, so I stepped to the window – the glass completely obliterated by an aggressive slime mould – and threw it open. Wind and rain blew in like a sweet balm. Immediately, the corpse on the carpet began to make odd popping noises and I turned quickly, raising the Desert Eagle:

Before my eyes, the Bug slowly disintegrated, dissolving into the floorboards like an ice sculpture at a surf safari in August. In no time at all, the only thing left of him was a disquietingly sticky puddle. I moved around the mess and snatched the rubber mask off the floor. Tossing this inside the suitcase along with the clothes, I slammed the lid shut and then heaved the lot out through the window, into the rainy night. With no body to speak of and no reliable witnesses as to what had happened to him, the Knights of Y’ha-nthlei would be scratching their heads about their mysterious Stranger for quite awhile.

I hefted the leather cylinder and quietly opened the door to the corridor. Nothing was moving out there, so I stealthily retraced my steps back to the stairwell and let myself in. Returning to the window I’d come in by, I sat down on the bottom step nearby and lit a cigarette – I had some thinking to do.

My brain was sluggish and unresponsive. Too much of this night had passed without any down time and I was beginning to feel the after-effects. Even the nicotine wasn’t cutting it. I was in a jam with no way out. Everyone thought that I’d murdered Abner Gilman, the pillar of the community, and consequently, I had E.O.D. grunts and their assassins on my tail. Getting out of Innsmouth without my car was problematic as it was still parked (I hoped!) outside of the Gilman mansion, and most likely watched by those unlikely to hand over the keys. It was a lead pipe cinch that anywhere I went that was any kind of refuge would also be watched, so I needed to find some place unique and cunning to go to earth. On top of it all, I was running out of dark. I looked across to the window to gauge the time and noticed something peculiar:

A ruddy red-and-orange glow was flickering off the pane of glass and shimmering in the raindrops that pelted on the other side. Most alarmingly, the light seemed to be coming from somewhere inside. I stood up slowly and stepped over to the window. As I did so, I noticed that the stairs leading down from here to the next level had changed: not only were they no longer nested tidily beneath the stairs leading up, they were made from stone and spiralling downwards. The fiery luminescence pulsed angrily up from somewhere way down below.

Cautiously, I moved towards the first step. Had some kind of panelling slid away to reveal this bizarre construction? From what I could see, it seemed to have just appeared in place, taking over the original building like a benign tumour, lodging itself comfortably within the existing fabric. I touched the stonework and it felt warm and distinctly real, so I scratched ‘illusion’ of my list of hypotheses.

I took a step down onto the first flagstone: it remained there, so I took another step. Soon I was tiptoeing my way ever downwards. I had gone around several spirals when I realised that I ought to be counting how many steps there were, to avoid getting lost. I estimated that I’d walked about fifteen steps and I continued onwards, counting under my breath as I went.

Very soon, I began to discern a roaring noise coming from up ahead. The light intensified along with the heat and periodic explosions shook the blistering air. As a precaution, I pulled out the Desert Eagle and crouched down as I moved ahead. In a short while, the outer wall of the stairway opened up, revealing that the steps led to a gigantic chamber, along the outer edge of which I was proceeding. In the centre of the chamber, an enormous pillar composed all of flame roared upwards from a worked-stone pit in the middle of the floor and disappeared through a fissure in the ceiling high overhead. Every now and again a burst of explosive flame shook the column dramatically, making it roil convulsively, and fire flickered through the air. I was so intent on this spectacle that I stumbled over the last step.

‘69,’ I muttered, dazed.

I stood up from the floor, noting as I did so that it was paved with massive flags, decorated with a worn and ancient-looking design. As I dusted-off my trousers, I noticed two pairs of sandaled feet standing right in front of me. I jumped, startled, and raised my gun. A giant hand grabbed me by the shirtfront and another one glommed the weapon away from me. Then I was slowly lowered to the pavement once more.

‘Tsk, tsk,’ said the man before me.

I say “man” but I’m not sure that he was even human. He certainly looked like it but, at an easy twelve foot in height, he was definitely out on the far edge of the spectrum. He was Middle-eastern in appearance and dressed as an Egyptian pharaoh, complete with the natty hat and the enamelled beard. He had jewelled armbands and criss-cross sashes across his torso resembling feathered wings. In one hand he held a blue-and-gold striped hooked stick and a golden flail-like thing; in the other he held my gun, which looked ridiculously small, and offered it back to me, holding it by the barrel. I took it from him and dropped it back into my pocket.

‘Sorry,’ I said, abashed, ‘you startled me.’

He nodded and the other guy stepped forward to look at me quizzically. He was identical to the first fellow, but of different stock, looking like he had originated somewhere north of Oslo. Piercing ice-blue eyes looked down upon me, so pale as to be almost transparent, and regarded me over a flowing coppery-coloured full beard. He stuck his hooked stick under my chin and lifted my face up for examination.

‘What is it doing here?’ he said, possibly to me, I don’t know.

‘Why do they all come here? He is seeking answers.’ I felt inclined towards the first fellow; he, at least, offered me personal pronouns.

‘It cannot proceed,’ said Blondie, sticking out his bottom lip.

‘Well, obviously,’ said the first guy, smiling wryly, a twinkle in his eye, ‘but we can at least allow him a question, no?’

Blondie looked inclined to disagree, but then he waved his stick and turned away dismissively.

‘As you wish,’ he said, ‘waste your time as you see fit...’ He slapped away across the floor in his flip-flops.

‘Never mind him,’ said Good Cop, patting me on the shoulder, ‘he’s in a mood. Now, you’re allowed a question, what’ll it be?’

‘What...?’ I stammered.

‘Excellent question!’ he said, cutting me off. He propelled me over to the bottom of the stairs once more. ‘I have an agent in your local place of interment. Go there and he will ensure that you get the response you need. Alright?’ I nodded dumbly and he gently pushed me onto the first step.

‘Up you go!’ he jollied me along, ‘and just FYI - there’re 70 steps, not 69.’

The column of flame belched incendiarily once more and a spark lit on the back of my hand. I jerked awake, sitting on the step in the hotel stairwell: my cigarette had burnt right down, sticking to my lip, and the ash had fallen and singed my hand.

I jumped up and looked around in shock. All was normal: no mysterious stairs; no pillar of flame; no giants. The only thing that caused me alarm was the pale light illuminating the window and spilling inside. Dawn was near.

I made it down to the foyer in double time and barged my way across to the entrance, pulling my hat down and my collar up. Ned Pierce was having a smoke outside on guard duty, so I pasted him in the kisser with the leather cylinder. I stalked off into the rainy morning leaving him an inky blot on the front steps...

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment