Thursday 27 December 2012

"Made Flesh" - Part 3


“Well, I was a mountaineer in my youth, always seeking new places to climb. I journeyed to the Himalayas during my time at University. I tried to get into the higher areas of the Hindu Kush but the troubles there prevented me. I spent some time in a monastery in the upper reaches of the Ganges and fell into some questionable practises whilst there. Under the influence of bhang during a Hindu festival, I had the strange insight that the whole world was being covered up with flesh, populations growing and coalescing together like the skin of an orange. A skin made of meat.” My face must have betrayed the disgust I was feeling.

“Oh, I know, I know: a most disconcerting vision to have had. Normally I would have shrugged it off, but, in the Antarctic, facing my own mortality, I kept reliving the experience and the horror of it forced me to make the decision upon my return. May I have this last biscuit?”

No comments:

Post a Comment