Saturday 29 December 2012

"Made Flesh" - Part 4



“When I was in the Antarctic,” he began, “We were lost; cut off; blinded by the snow and the frost. We had no dogs; only our compass with which to orientate ourselves. Schmidt stumbled and his foot went through the ice; I grabbed him and pulled. Zimmermann began to shout: I could hear him saying ‘it has him! It has him!’ but I couldn’t see what he was talking about. I heaved as I felt Schmidt sinking and he screamed. Then the flesh of his leg slid off, like a sock from a foot. I fell hard, into the snow with Schmidt on top of me, screaming for all he was worth that something had bitten him. As I stood up once more, I heard Zimmermann yelling for me to run, that he would hold off the creature while we escaped. With the snow and mist I couldn’t see clearly; Zimmermann seemed to be facing-off against some kind of eel, or serpent, rearing up out of the ice, moving slowly and rising higher. Schmidt was a mess; blood everywhere. I hauled him up over my shoulders and turned to see Zimmermann waving his ice pick at a huge wall of growing shadow, yelling over his shoulder for us to run as fast as we could. I did; and that was the last we saw of him...”

No comments:

Post a Comment