Sunday 14 January 2018

"The Haunting" Handouts

I have recently taken the plunge and bought the 7th edition rules for “Call of Cthulhu” and I am ploughing my way through them. Some things have definitely changed, but on the whole these are changes for the better and not to the game’s detriment. I am not unhappy to see the old “Resistance Table” as a thing of the past, for instance. The presentation is a bit wordy but there is a concerted effort to talk to newcomers while leaving old-timers to do their own thing – the presentation and organisation reflects all the other iterations, so returning readers won’t easily get lost. Some things have been retained – Harvey Walters is back as the Example Character and – in the Quick-Start version of the rules – the introductory scenario, “The Haunting”, has been dusted off for another run around the block.

This isn’t a bad thing, because it’s a good introduction to the game for new players and Keepers alike. I’ll admit that I have never run this story for my players, or played it myself, but I can see the quality of the design. One thing that always bothered me about it was the rudimentary presentation of the player handouts: rather than being anything of note, they comprise a simple set of boxed statements telling the results of inquiries at various locales. Of course, Keepers are allowed to flesh these out as they like, but I’ve always felt that, if you’re going to try and lead by example, you should demonstrate to the newbs what is possible, not the minimum effort.

To this end, to celebrate the return of this tried-and-true tale under a new and streamlined system, I’ve thrown together some more elaborate handouts which can be given to players, and which will help generate a little more atmosphere than just bald lines of text. Essentially, there is no difference between the original handouts and these ones – the essential information provided is identical; these ones are just a bit more picturesque. Enjoy!

“The Haunting” Handout #1:


“The Haunting” Handout #2:


“The Haunting” Handout #3:


“The Haunting” Handout #4:


“The Haunting” Handout #5:


“The Haunting” Handout #6:


“The Haunting” Handout #7:


“The Haunting” Handout #8:


“The Haunting” Handout #9:



(All information presented here is copyright Chaosium Inc., taken from CALL OF CTHULHU 7th Edition Quick Start, 2013.)

3 comments: