Saturday 27 April 2013

"Love Song" - Part 1


"I went back to the register and grabbed my coat. Pulling my keys from my pocket, I moved to the front entrance of the shop and flipped the sign from “Open” to “Closed”. I turned the key in the lock and then stared through the glass: outside in the rain, she stood on the pavement, in her summer dress completely careless of the deluge falling over her. Her long dark hair was plastered to her face and neck and I could see the blue lines of veins in her arms, through the paleness of her skin. She wore no shoes. As I stared at her, she looked back at me with an intensity that was startling: the fingers of her hands were spread, as if readied for action, rivulets of water running from the nails.

Impulsively, I turned the key in the lock once more, taking my eyes from her for only a second. When the door blew open, the bell above tinkling mellowly in the sudden rush of rain, she was gone, as if she’d never been..."

No comments:

Post a Comment