Wednesday 30 January 2013

"Hott Hedz" - Part 4



"The first case – marked “1925-1928” – at first would not be opened with the appropriate key. I tried graphite powder on the padlock and, finally, a single-serve tub of salad dressing from the cafeteria, before leaving work to find a hardware store and buy a pair of bolt-cutters: even then, the hinges were so rusted that the lid had to be levered up. I thought at first that Carl had used some variety of arcane packing material to contain the specimens until I realised that the whole case was full of an aggressive type of mould, like dark blue candy-floss, and I abandoned the lab in order to search for some kind of breathing apparatus that could deal with noxious spores.

There were 23 heads in that trunk and they all had to be shorn of their mould and treated with a heavy-duty fungicide; even after that, I kept them sitting, well-ventilated under UV lights, for a month, on the off-chance that they might sprout forth once more. Did I worry that such ferocious pesticides might affect the results? I ask you: did I care? I still have nightmares about contracting dark-blue asbestosis..."

No comments:

Post a Comment