Tuesday 1 January 2013

"Made Flesh" - Part 5



"Suddenly his limbs went into a state of extreme tension, as if he were struggling to heave a great weight; then, just as swiftly they relaxed but in attitudes not possible in a normal human arm or leg. His jaw distended horribly, his tongue twisting uselessly, and I saw one of his eyeballs pull free from its socket. In a sudden rush, the contents of his head vomited forth from his gaping mouth, the brain issuing piecemeal through the soft palate, and the flesh of his head instantly unzipped and floated free of the bone, reducing in seconds to filaments and a cloud of dissolving pink mist. I pushed sharply away from the glass, stopped only by the catwalk’s railing behind me. Through the window I could now see only drifting pieces of metal – all that was left of Viktor’s uniform – and a floating constellation of his bones which, as I watched, began to dissolve like ice losing its definition in a drink.

“Remarkable, yes?” Doktor Krupke was at my side. I stared at him."


No comments:

Post a Comment